Thursday, August 26, 2010

Request: The Jean Equivalent Skirt

I often get questions from friends about fashion, sometimes food, and sometimes science. Although, I do tend to be in a world of my own with the science thing sometimes. Anyone else have a hard time staying away from inappropriate dinner conversations? Anyways, I've informed my friends that I will take topic requests for my blog. The first request I got is awesome, so we're taking a brief hiatus from the San Francisco series to answer our first question:

"I would like you to cover the skirt equivalent of a pair of jeans. :) Since I can't wear jeans to school, I want something that goes with boots, sandals, flats, sweaters, t-shirts, button down shirts, blouses, jackets . . . you get the idea. It also has to be school and age-appropriate (i.e., not a mini-skirt)."

Not to fear my teacher friend! I have a couple of what I think are great ideas.

I personally love the new Fall fashion trends. Classic yet bold. Here's a new Michael Kors skirt that will pair nicely with boots, sandals, blouses, jackets, ribbed tops and sweaters:

Design by Michael Kors
Photo courtesy of MarieClaire.com

If you're not a fan of the high waist, here's something that is a cheaper alternative and sits a little lower:

Photo courtesy of LilyLilyShop.com

I personally prefer the look and style of the Kors camel skirt. Buttons are fabulous (and "in" this Fall season) and the flared length gives it a classic appeal (think Katherine Hepburn). By the way, this is why I adore Michael Kors. He has the ability to make clothes for women that are modern classics. How does he do it? Anyways, I imagine that camel skirt with an airy cream silk blouse with large ruffled collar. Fab, yes? The other great thing about both these skirts is that foot wear is flexible. Try a tan mid-calf boot or chunky, slouchy ankle boots instead. How about gladiator-esque sandals. Yes, these skirts have plenty of potential for dress up or dress down.

I'm also a fan of riding skirts with a modern twist. These are often longer with great shape:

Ralph Lauren Suede Cassandra Skirt
Buy at Macys.com

Chadwick's Flounce Riding Skirt
(Currently on a super clearance!)

Boots are a natural pairing with the riding skirt, and heels are classics. Wear them with button down blouses and modern vests- try it with a belt to accentuate the waist. If you need to wear a t-shirt, stick to a simple flattering cut in a neutral color.

Let's move into a more basic skirt style now. Basic is not bad! There are basics that every woman needs; they are the foundation of an excellent wardrobe and tend to survive trend shifts. One of these is the pencil skirt, and they usually work beautifully for work situations.

Donna Karan Pencil Skirt
Buy at SaksFifthAvenue.com

The Nip and Tuck Pencil Skirt
From ShapeFX.com

As you've probably noticed, many of the skirts shown previously are designed with echoes of the pencil skirt; therefore you can wear many of the same combinations discussed previously. Pencil skirts go great with jackets. And don't be fooled! You don't need to be matchy-matchy. Just because you wear a grey pencil skirt, doesn't mean you have to wear a grey jacket. In fact, an olivey-yellow jacket would be a perfect pairing with a grey pencil skirt. One more tip: you can wear flats with skirts, but just be careful. Flats with the wrong cut and shaped skirt can make legs look stubby.

Let me know if you've got an awesome skirt style!

4 comments:

Jen in SLO said...

Yay, Emily! I knew you were the one to ask! Riding skirt = love! I didn't know those had names, and I will now be on the lookout for them. Chadwick's only had size 12 - 16, and $400 might be a tad out of my price range for the Macy's one! ;)

Emily said...

Jen,
Bummer on the sizes of Chadwicks. I know there are more types out there! Try googling flounce skirt. "Riding skirt" will bring up some awesome authentic western wear, but I actually think they'd make interesting fashion pieces (and you could definitely pull it off). :)

Jen in SLO said...

I keep checking around for a good flounce skirt. :)

What about this as a possible goes with anything skirt?

http://www.chadwicks.com/chadwicks/browse/productDetail.jsp?icProduct=20716&icCategory=cat40028&icSort=%20marketingPriority

Emily said...

Yes, Jen. Love it! Very similar cut/style. :)

Post a Comment