Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Food, Fashion, and...Science?

Here's the setting: bubble bath, glass of wine, and the September 2010 Fall Fashion issue of Marie Claire. While flipping through the pages, I began to feel...well...excitement. Why? It's hard to explain. I can't afford the designers I read about, but I appreciate the art. Each season is a new showcase for a beautiful, different, or altered perspective from the fashion gurus-- and I eat it up. It's quite possibly because I lack creativity in many other areas (I find stick figures challenging subjects) yet I can express myself with my clothing. I love the race to find affordable yet fashionable new pieces (or old pieces done in a new way). Also, shoes make me giddy. But, I don't think that's much different from many other women in America or around the world, for that matter.

So here I am, a student in graduate school working towards my MS in Biology when my conscious becomes keenly aware of my passion for fashion. But, I still love science, too! In fact, my dream job may include scientific writing (or fashion styling, or both). Mitochondria and cellular signaling excite me the way shoes and faux fur vests do. You might call me a nerd. You'd be right. What should I do with both loves? Well, write about it, of course.

And while I'm already writing and sharing, I might as well write about the stuff that captures my thoughts at least 3 times a day (honestly, usually more). I love food; might even consider myself a bit of a foodie. I'm not extremely knowledgeable, but I can appreciate the culinary arts as well. Quite frankly, that sums up nicely how I feel about each of these 3 topics. I'm no expert, but I happen to be interested in each topic. I appreciate the art and beauty that compose them. Partly, I guess I'm writing to force myself to learn more about Food, Fashion, and Science. Stay tuned to share my thoughts, experience, and new information.

0 comments:

Post a Comment